Monday, March 24, 2008

Bareback and Liberty

Today, I let Z be out in the front pasture. She's been separated from the herd for a few weeks now and seems to be coping fine. She's gaining more independence which is great for L3 work and riding alone. She enjoys the pasture time and it's better than keeping her in the run. After work, I went for a run and took Z with me. We went about 40 mins and she seemed to like it - passing so many different horses and checking things out with me on the ground instead of her back. When we got back, we went to the round pen and worked more on cantering and got a GREAT flying lead change!! Yes!! I worked some more on her backing straight at Liberty and sending to the right at the trot. I think we are nearly there on all Liberty tasks. Awesome.

I rode her bareback for a while and worked on mounting bareback and bridleless. I'm teaching her to handle me jumping next to her neck so I can mount and slide back from her neck. She's ok with that. I have to make sure I can do it every, single time. Sometimes I don't get it quite right. We worked on walk and trot b and b and turning to stop in the middle of the pen. Her trot is quite easy to ride bareback these days. She's so much more efficient in her movement than when I bought her. It's amazing the changes she's made. She's happy to stop or transition down with the slightest suggestion. Nirvana.

No comments: