Saturday, March 1, 2008

More undemanding, enforcing the bond...

I spent about 45 mins in the pasture with the herd. Everytime Z came near, I gave her a treat and walked away. Occasionally, I would scratch her favorite spots and walk away. I'm curious to see what I'll get today of repairing our bond for a couple days. She was following me in the pasture, like she usually does. But she still decided to head for the far pasture when I first went out yesterday. Hopefully, today will be a little different.

I've also started spending time getting Gemini more confident away from the herd. He spent about 2 hours tied to the rail in front of barn, sometimes able to see the herd, sometimes not. He gets most of his confidence from the herd and I'm starting to focus some attention on building his confidence alone. I've done some reading and have some good ideas of things to do. Linda P. says your horse should be able to stand tied quietly for up to 8 hours. Gemini can not do that today. He calls and calls. Perhaps if we get better at standing tied away from the herd, he'll be more comfortable to trail ride away from them. Whoever buys him will need him to be better in this area.

Today, I want to spend time but life is getting in the way. I'm trying to buck up and roll with it, but definitely feeling frustrated.

No comments: