Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sharptail, kids and horses

Today, I took Kyle, Rain and Z to Sharptail for some trail riding. It was a really nice! We had to readjust Kyle often, he was having a hard time finding his comfort zone with stirrup length, his half-chaps, the positioning of his male parts, etc... Turned out he prefers to either canter or walk! Trotting is a rubbing, chafing exercise if you don't know what you're doing. So, no problem! Z and I practice our canter departs! We went about 7 miles - not real far by my standards, but nice to spend time with Kyle and the weather was great.

I worked with Z on more lightness and she did well. I practiced transitioning her down Dennis' way and asked her multiple times to let Rain get way far ahead. She got very vertically collected and then really was with me and listening and waiting for our time to move forward and catch back up to Rain. Initially, she felt the need to rush back to Rain but she quickly realized she would be fine letting Rain be far ahead and she was less in a hurry when I allowed forward again.

We worked some on haunches in and shoulder in. I find haunches in to be much easier! At one point, Kyle and I were cantering the horses up a hill and they really began to race. That was the fastest I've ever ridden Zarah. I was worried for Kyle and slowed us down - Kyle said, "We're going too fast!". However, it felt GOOD to ride Z that fast! I realize I often hold her back. I have to ride her as fast as she can run.

The little kids then took turns on Rain and Z and I got some exercise leading them back up the trail a few miles. It was closing night for Kyle's play so Steve got him back to Pondo and I took the little kids home with me. We had a fun time!

No comments: