Thursday, May 7, 2009

Evening ride with Kendall

Spring is here and the weather is warm and the days are longer all the time. I love winter, but this is pretty darn nice, too! Kendall and I got back from the tutor and my errand running about 6:45 and I decided to try for a late day ride with my cute daughter. Luckily, she wanted to as well! I did the fastest tack-up ever and we were off by 7:30. The horses were hungry, which wasn't good. The grass is green and long and Rain knows how to reach down and get grass whether Kendall wants her to or not. I've taught Kendall rhythm in the reins to get Rain's head back up, but it's much more natural to Kendall to simply Puuullllll! This of course, makes Rain MORE bracey and determined, not less. I remind Kendall and she does it, but her initial reaction is always to start a game of tug-o-war. Doh!

Still, we had a nice and fairly short ride watching the sun go down and the beautiful Colorado sky. We stopped here and there to let them enjoy some grass and I took that time to soak in the warm air and let my stress melt away. Very therapeutic.

Z was a dream - the first trail ride in a long time where she simply marched down the trial, not thinking about home. She was determined and doing her fast walk. It was phenomenal. I had a glimpse of what I'd built with her last summer where we could leave and ride alone wherever we wanted and not have her concerned about home or feeling insecure in any way. It's not easy for Z to feel that way, she's a more nervous horse by nature.

I've been focusing intently on down transitions w/o reins always... Z has become very sensitive to my seat and slowing down, halting or backing w/o the reins and often without any rhythm in my body. This is huge! My confidence with her just soars when I know I have so many ways to ask her to slow down or stop.

I got off and walked some since my work-outs are less frequent lately - it seemed like a good time to move and exercise myself some. Steve and Delaney came home about the time we were nearing our front gate. Delaney hopped on Z and I led my 2 kids home on my two favorite mares.

A very nice night!

No comments: