Monday, June 15, 2009

Playing with Gemini after the ISC

First time after our trip. Played on the 45' and he actually got away from me once. He was looking for the herd and definitely pulling his circle in that direction. I decided to put him on the 22' and go into the round pen. I'm trying to teach the down transition on the circle but he keeps turning in to face instead of staying on the circle. We really worked on an improved sideways as well. I expected more than ever. He's taking more responsibility than ever on the circle and we got 8-9 trot circles - a huge improvement. We'll slowly build up to cantering circles over the coming weeks. His yo-yo was soft going out and coming in, very nice! We will spend more time playing stick to me as time goes on and build more squeeze games out of the play area.

I wanted to ride him yesterday, but I'd decided to play with him while tacked in the western saddle with the rear cinch tight first. He tends to buck wildly when the rear cinch is tight. It's been a long time since he's worn a western saddle and I didn't want to hop on until he had a chance to get comfortable with the rear cinch. Somewhere in his past, someone was mean to him with a western saddle. His bucking response is so strong. Poor guy.

He bucked like crazy once in the canter. Repeatedly. I played with him for 90 mins or so and the bucking was over after the first 5 mins. I plan to make a program of this (7 days) and see where we end up.

A good session! He had more extroversion than normal and his positive responses are better all the time. Cool!

No comments: