Saturday, June 27, 2009

Trail time with Rain and Cowboy

Had a great 8-mile ride on Rain and ponying Cowboy. Haven't taken Cowboy out in a few weeks and with Z injured, I'm finding time for my other horses. It was a fast ride and the weather was really nice - warm, sunny and breezy. Rain's gaiting is so fast, Cowboy has to canter to keep up. The mosquitos weren't out yet, we went way before dusk. Cowboy learned his position so fast. After the first mile, he stayed right in zone 3 where I wanted him. I had to remind him once in a while, but generally he was doing his job.

It was funny when we left. I asked for a canter from the barn to my front gate (about 1/4 mile) and Cowboy was kicking out and feeling good! By the end of the 8 miles, he was ready to stand around quietly. He was really great and I'm glad he's here. He gets along wonderfully at my place.
I hosed Rain and Cowboy down (they were pretty sweaty!) and let them stand and chill while I played with Gem. I put him on the 45' and practiced sideways, change of direction and transitions on line. He's doing great! The change of direction has very much progressed. He's circling with the rope dragging on the ground, a great improvement. He doesn't have a lot of energy and doesn't stay in the canter. We'll have to work on his impulsion next.

I then too Gem into the roundpen and we played stick to me. He's pretty good with that if I go slow. If I ask him to trot with me he looks at me as if to say, "Seriously Tia, we're in a small pen, there's no reason to move fast." This is why the first levels horse should be an Arab. :-) He and I will have some more conversations about answering my questions appropriately.

It was a great day with my horses. I also got tons of chores done (lawn mowing, general clean-up, manure dragged, screen replaced, etc...). Excellent day!

No comments: