Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Dressage with Loma

7Had a simply fantastic lesson with Loma! I got Z ready, warmed up and tacked up before Loma arrived so we could get right to it. We set up a circle so that I could work on getting my circles better. We started by just showing Loma how we're doing.

We talked a lot about correcting her on the circle sooner, using my reins to keep her on the circle. We worked on the trot and canter and eventually made it to transitions. She talked a lot about me keeping the outside hip slightly forward while my shoulders stay straight. I should lift and slightly swing my outside hip in to keep my horse's ribs bent and straight on the circle. We also worked on my down and up transitions and keeping them smooth. Here's where I got the golden nugget of the lesson...

Counting the footfalls! I've never, ever done this, but I can see where it could be the missing link to my ability to progress! So, on the circle, the outside fore is count #1. Then, 2,3,4 in the walk gait. For the trot it's a 2 count - outside fore again is the #1 count. The canter, a 1,2,3 count. Loma explained that I should only ask for something new when I know my horse is prepared. This is something that Ray Hunt taught with fervor. However, I've never learned this and it's critical. I was actually pleased as hell to have someone break it down for me. Actually, it took me some time to get the count right and I'll need to practice.

Loma said I have a great natural feel, so I've been able to get by, but to get really good I've got to get more technical. I'll need to know where the feet are to get great flc's. I'm excited to put this new info to use. I got some of the nicest transitions up and down by asking for the change on the #1 count. OHHH!! Asking your horse a question at the right time so he/she can give the right answer! Awesome.

No comments: