Sunday, September 6, 2009

Building a good foundation

Today, I spent about 2 hours with Nina. I recently started Nina and today I wanted to spend some time building a nice forward ask and continuing to build her confidence with me talking to her from her back. We had an amazing session!! I played with her on the ground for quite a while, getting our communication softer and softer. We built on the figure 8 until she could calmly and thoughtfully make the pattern. Her circles are much better and her sideways is very nice. We practiced disengaging the hind and moving the fore.

Then, in the round pen, we worked on "stick to me", circles at the walk (hard for her!) and the bring back. It was then that I decided she was very ready to ride.

I had Steve come watch, just in case she flung me. lol Don't want to be laying alone in the round pen if I get hurt. Then, I mounted up, her feet perfectly still, and asked for lateral flexion until it was soft as butter. Then, we started to build the forward movement. A little commotion and her response was either backwards or sideways. HA! To keep things calm, I enlisted Steve's help, simply asking him to be my phase 4 by putting a little pressure on the halter. Worked like a charm.

Once we had forward down, I started asking for turns. Thanks to lateral flexion, that was quite easy for her. She was a little unsure about turning while walking, but after a couple tries, she was doing fine.

We found a great place to stop and I dismounted and gave her a treat. I then hung out with her in the round pen, sitting on the ground while she put her head in my lap for lots of scratches. She didn't want to leave me and roll, like I thought she would. Maybe next time. It was a nice, soft session and I think she's getting a great start.

The next horse I'm starting comes next week. Glad to have Nina at this point so I can bring the other one along right behind her. I've got to get Rain on the trail as my ponying horse and get more trail experience under Nina's belt. Then, I'll do the same with Tina - the filly arriving next week.

Lots of great progress! Ready to quit my day job!

No comments: