Saturday, January 9, 2010

A little trailriding

Today, I planned to take Rain and Tina on the trail. I wasn't sure about how the ground would be with the frozen ground, but I figured we'd try. I tacked up Rain and haltered Tina and off we went. This was my first ponying since my broken arm. I wanted to take it easy and keep myself out of trouble.

We made it 1/2 way down the driveway when Gem appeared. He was out in the front pasture and decided he'd like to come along with us. It was a little tough because he'd stop to munch on grass, then canter to catch up. It's always tough when you've got a horse cantering up behind you. Tina was defensive about Gem getting too close and I didn't like it much either.

When we got to the gate, I saw the ground was slick and frozen. I sat and thought, then decided it wasn't worth the risk to ride on ice. I just don't want an injury to them or to me. So, we rode the property instead. We followed the fence and then back at the barn, we did some obstacle course stuff. It was a nice break-in back to ponying.

After about 2 hours, I hopped off, put Tina and Rain back on the track and tacked up Z. Z and I just rode around the property as well. I'm trying to just get back into my regular routine of riding every single day I can. Z and I have some filming to do soon - I'd like to get that filming done asap. So we practiced our bridleless cues and riding w/o reins.

A good day back in the saddle and I started to long from spring - or at least longer days.

No comments: