Friday, April 15, 2011

Tough ride with Gem

We went through the neighborhood with Deb and Lexy and Gem really struggled. I got off of him several times and tried to build the partnership from the ground as he was giving me the feeling he might bolt home. He's never bolted before, but I could feel him considering that and I trusted my gut.

During the ride, I felt that I really needed to step up my leadership. One the ground, I didn't really have the right tools to do a great job so once he seemed rideable again, I'd hop on and show leadership by moving his feet where I wanted them. We did transitions, isolating the ends, sideways... and I tried to make things quick and abrupt to interrupt the pattern of him thinking he needed to save himself. It was effective for the most part, but tiring and I got off once or twice just to take a break.

I rode him off and on, but multiple times it just seemed that he was so unconnected to me that he could get us in trouble so I'd hop off. About 1/2 mile from home, I got on and stayed on. He was calm close to home and I was not worried about riding him home.

Bottom line: he and I have some work to do on our relationship and his confidence. We'll keep going. I'd like to start riding him more alone. I just want to be sure I can do that safely.

1 comment:

Parelli Central said...

Sounds like you made the right decision! Better to get off one time to many instead of one time not enough!!!!
Stay safe :- )


Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central