Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dressage Lesson #2

Whoo - this one was physically challenging! I was sweating and breathing hard throughout the lesson.

We focused on my leg placement, Gem with contact, getting more forward if he over collects and allowing the canter if he continues to offer it. KC wants to see a faster and more productive canter. I tried to ask for more energy in the canter and often got the gallop. He did quite well, though!! He worked hard and really tried. He wants to stop and I'm trying to figure out how to keep him forward w/o "driving" him forward. However, it seems the dressage riders tend to drive forward in the seat. I'll continue to figure out the best way for me to get things done with him without damaging our relationship.

We did find a really nice place in the trot with him feeling back to me and carrying the bit. That was lovely. He also did very nicely with picking up the correct leads every time. Making my outside leg long and back really sets him up well. I lengthened my stirrups today, too.

I'm going to add spurs to help me be lighter with my leg, mainly because of where my heel hits him and how much I have to wrap my leg around him.

Great lesson. Ready for the next one!!

No comments: