Thursday, March 15, 2012

Horses for stress relief

I took a new role last October and it's been quite a challenge. I travel nearly every week and I have tough deliverables and prep-work for important meetings regularly. I won't say I regret taking the role because it's been a good push for my career and professional skills. Last week, I presented to 100 people - a big challenge for me.

Subsequently, I'm more stressed out these days. Now that days are getting longer and temps are warmer, I'm getting my butt out to the barn for more than just feeding and an occasional ride. I'm reminded how helpful it is to me to take this kind of time with my horses. Riding loosens my tight neck and shoulders from sitting at my desk with tense shoulders. Riding helps my remember to breathe and slow down. Riding gives me immense joy, gets me smiling again. Connecting with one of my equine partners can heal the wounds of the day... or even the entire week. So grateful for my horses.

Tonight I took Miss Ellie out front to put some time on in the wide open space. She was a rock star. She was calm and easy - no brace. We trotted and walked. She was a pleasure and I think she enjoyed the new environment. I had Kyle hang out with Rain while Ellie and I did our thing (figure 8's, trot transitions, etc...). Kyle just laid across Rain's back and stood still, hanging out. I think he was feeling the sheer joy of a horse, too.

Then, for the first time in months, I played with and rode my big boy Gem. What a PLEASURE that was! He felt great! He was soft and offered vertical flexion with ease. He gave me great canter departs and nice soft sideways. I've missed that horse.

Ellie will go home in a few days and I then will devote time to Gem regularly. He's a star waiting to get his chance to shine. I'm missing dressage, but I've made the choice to focus on endurance this year. I just can't do it all. His hock can't handle the rigors of dressage, but certainly we have lots to develop and he enjoys the time spent. So happy I have him in my pasture.

Got two of his feet trimmed (the lefts!). My plan was to do all 4, but I did the front and rear left side and ran out of steam. I know better. Should have done the fronts.

2 comments:

Alice said...

Hi Tia! Just dropped by your blog for a "horse fix". :-) I hope Z's thrush clears up. Looking forward to seeing how far you two will go this year! You are aiming for a 50-miler right? Say hello to Rain for me; I enjoyed riding her in 2010. :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Alice!!

I've been terrible about getting my blog entries published lately. I have about 15 sitting and waiting for my attention. For Z and I, we did our first 50 last year so this I'm hoping to do a few more plus perhaps a 75 or a 100! Woo-hoo!! Things are going great and I've resigned from my high-tech career. It's time to take this horse thing full-time. I'm so excited! I have huge plans and I hope things shape up the way I invision.

Life is great. :)